Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
The question being posed relates to speed, not ergonomics or appearances: '...fits my hands better...', '...giant and heavy.', '...looks dangerous...'. Speed, man, it's all about speed!
Indeed, that was a tangent.

I gather your subject matter either affords the opportunity to repeatedly try again and again to get the timing right or the not getting the image wouldn't prove too disappointing. Your focus appears to be heavily weighted on the process rather than the result. Yeah, I enjoy the process as well but at day's end and when it matters, I'd like to have something more than satisfactory to show for my efforts. To each his/her own.
Surfing, race cars, motorcycles at speed are generally my subject matter where a motor drive would even be considered. Sure, getting *the* shot is more important than getting *a* shot, but it's been a rare occasion when 5fps has gotten me a shot that careful anticipation couldn't. I'm generally using set focus and exposure, so having the experience to catch the height of action is more effective than 10fps will ever be. It was a hard lesson to learn, luckily I wasn't paying per roll and coming home with nothing, but it was a lot of time invested until I learned to settle down and wait for it to happen.

The question of speed largely comes down to subject matter and the level of desire/need to 'get the shot'. When in doubt, stack the deck!
Of course, I see the pitching analogy as a perfect example of where 10fps would be even better than 5fps and 5fps worth using where as 1fps would not be of much help.

I'm not against using the drive when the situation calls for it, I'm just advocating knowing enough about the situation to know whether it is called for or not. Although...if more people were burning through a roll of 36 in 3.6 seconds, maybe film sales would go up?