Although I've never practiced the craft, glass plate photography has held my interest for many years. I've purchased old plates and a couple of Ambrotypes at antique shops and there's just something about them that's captivating.
I do know a little about woodworking in general and building contact printing frames in particular. This weekend I'll be talking to Ellen Susan who, as many know is a talented wet plate collodion photographer from Savannah, GA. probably best known for her Soldier Portraits series. Ellen emailed me last year looking for a printing frame, but I didn't have the size she needed in stock.
So now I want to ask her about contact printing glass plates. I'm guessing that print frames are a little different for glass than for film - well, duh. I hope she can tell me something about the unique-ness of glass plate printing frames so I can create some new designs that meet those needs.
I know that there isn't just one expert on the subject though, and there are lots of folks out there who are practicing wet and dry plate processes. I hope some of you would please offer your own ideas and opinions on the topic. Thanks in advance for the help. I hope I can do a little more to help keep the old crafts alive.
Dan Pelland
PellandPhoto.com