You'll get slapped for asking detailed scanning questions on APUG. We acknowledge its existence (there are images shared here!) but discussion of technology & technique is not permitted.

As for chromes, they are so wonderful because the medium supports a very large display dynamic range, at least 12 stops (Dmax of at least 3.6). This means you have a very high contrast, high saturation and all that good stuff. Now, while it is possible to digitally capture all of the information in a slide, it is currently NOT possible to digitally display that information because there exist no screens and no digital printing technologies (other than print-to-slide!) that has as much dynamic range as the slide. I expect that to change soon wrt dynamic range (16-bit OLED screens are coming, I'm sure of it) but we're not there yet, and we're nowhere near a digital display that can do the same resolution as a good chrome, especially in the larger formats. We probably never will (in my lifetime) get there with reflective prints because we just haven't made any substances black enough.

If you're going to scan and/or make prints (either analogue or hybrid), you might as well shoot C41 (colour neg) because it's more forgiving, more accurate and (properly scanned and processed, or wet-printed) will produce results no worse on-screen or in-print than you get from a chrome. Frequently better, in fact, because you don't lose as much detail to clipping.

However if you can project your chromes, there is no technology yet that can equal that quality. If you're going to bother shooting chromes, buy a projector and use it. Not projecting it means you're completely wasting the capabilities of the film.

If you really want to be addicted, try some medium format slides