Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
I think the article makes a good point, but at the same time, the "one of everything" approach is a bit gratuitously restrictive, I think.
Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
I'm fascinated by the simplicity of the task of using one 'everything' for a long period of time. It is such a simple way of approaching photography, and such a good way of becoming a better photographer, yet many of us are so brainwashed and indoctrinated with the idea of the camera, lens, film choice and so on being important, that we find ourselves justifying carrying more than one of everything.
Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
Don't you think that it is BECAUSE OF the challenges that one 'everything' presents that make you a better photographer?

I think it's important to make a distinction here that it's about fundamental qualities of seeing and feeling your way to the end result, and for this exercise you'd have to learn how to expand your capabilities to compensate for some of the challenges.
This (to me) is another of those photography memes that just simply, well, may or may not apply. I have to go more with Nathan than Thomas. (And, Thomas, you and I are usually on the same page.)

No, I do not think I am brainwashed in thinking that the tools and materials I use are important. I think those choices are important. And no, I do not, quite simply, think the "challenges" of one camera, one lens would in and of itself make one a better photographer.

I'm happy that some feel this approach was beneficial to them. But I am often taken aback, then, by their evangelical zeal in promoting "simplicity" as a panacea for all photographers. I compare it to woodworkers who have an almost religious conviction against using power tools. Yeah, your work may (or may not) be more "handmade", but my joints fit.

I am an apostle of settling on a small list of materials, i.e., film paper and chemicals. And I preach to those who have ears to hear, that keeping it simple in the darkroom (especially with film development) is a good thing. Simple, however, does not mean restrictive.

So, am I going to make better photographs because I only take one lens with me? I own and use many different screwdrivers and wrenches, etc. I own and use many cameras and lenses.

YMMV