Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
I DO agree with this! In fact, most of the discussion on line and in person with other photographers is about the technical aspects, and not the art. If I may be so bold as to generalize: it's because most people are not photographers, but merely camera owner/operators. They haven't forgotten how to see, they never saw anything in the first place.
And that is precisely why they need to be removed from that thinking that it's about equipment. If you remove that aspect, left with a bare bones outfit with no bells and whistles, you HAVE TO rely on your skill, imagination, and hard work to improve.

I think anybody could improve the way they work by forcing ourselves to work with what we've got.

There are clearly several different thought patterns regarding this topic, and in the end I think we probably mean similar things.

In my humble experience I have noticed that when I become truly familiar with a camera, and when I use a film that I am thoroughly used to, my prints improve. When all my focus is on the image itself, and I can raise a camera to my eye where I have a good idea of what the finished print is going to look like, then I feel artistically free and have a clear head, where the full emotion of being in a place occupies my soul and hopefully permeates the resulting photograph BECAUSE I am not distracted. That is my experience with the Hasselblad camera I have used for years now, and the Pentax SLR. I haven't quite gotten that comfortable with the Leica yet, so I'll be practicing more with it. The only film I use when it matters is Tri-X (or TMax 400, which I have also used a lot). The only paper I print on is Ilford MGIV fiber. When I go out shooting I only ever bring one lens. Why? Because the moment I start thinking about changing something, I stop paying attention to what's around me.

Maybe it's a personal way of working that isn't right for everyone. We all enjoy different things.