An interesting thing in this particular formulary I'm quoting from, is that D-72 is described as a rapid, high contrast developer for films and plates, without any reference to papers. At one time D-72 was intended (I think) as a "universal" developer for films and papers, and then later of course Dektol became known primarily as a standard paper developer, but I didn't realize there was a time (or place) when/where D-72 was listed as a film/plate developer without reference to paper. Perhaps some formulas were described differently by Kodak depending on whether the publication originated in the U.S. or U.K.?

Another curious thing about the D-72 formula given in this publication is it differs slightly from the later versions I've seen (in Haist, Anchell, etc.). In this formulary booklet Metol is 3.1g (vs 3g) and bromide is 1.9g (vs 2g). Perhaps this is merely a matter of rounding and/or significant digits (the D-72 formula in Haist is in grams with no decimals). But it suggests Anchell's version (which shows precision to tenths of a gram) may not be precisely correct. Or maybe the formula simply changed slightly at some point.