Quote Originally Posted by blansky
Most people don't care to have Migrant Mother, or Churchill or child running from naplam displayed in their living room.

Just my skewed point of view.

Michael

I do remember a movie where there was a huge reproduction of E. Adams image of the Viet Cong prisoner getting shot in the head hanging on the wall in a room. (A Clockwork Orange?).

In real life I think a great deal of contemporary landscape photography is sort of a reaction to the Adamesque image. The new topographers were the first to "rebel". Robert Adams, Lewis Baltz and Frank Gohlke who were interested in mans effect on the landscape and the transitional boundries between nature and the man made.

The other movement was one of exploring the more intimate aspects of nature and finding beuaty in "common" land (everything but pristine land) or banality of surroundings. Joel Meyrowitz, Harry Callahan, Siskind, Tice.

Today I see great emphasis towards the aesthetic of a Brett Weston or Wynn Bullock. Interest in portraying landscape or details as pure form in an almost abstract way, usually trying to isolate the subject from any cosideration as part of a greater whole. Fokos, Citriet, Kenna, Smith, Kourlis, Sean Kernan and John Sexton's images of trees, Barnbaum's Tone Poems, Don Kirby's Wheat Country, and Fay Godwin's The Edge of the Land to name a few.

The emphasis is on finding beauty and meaning in the simple things that we walk past everyday and take for granted.