Paul..

Thanks for the offer to work up a web page, let me “ruminate” on the idea for a while...

Colin...

When cutting plastics and nonferrous metals (aluminum, brass, etc), you need a blade with a Triple-Chip grind and a negative hook angle. Woodworking blades shatter plastics, and are downright dangerous with metals. If you don’t have one, take a look at the Freud 7-1/4 inch x 56TCG “Diablo” metal cutting blade (# 122.990, at http://woodworker.com/Freud_Blades.htm ). It’s a thin kerf design, and should give a very clean edge which needs only a light dressing with a smooth cut file.

Nancy...

I cant’ say that Garolite is the ..exact.. same material that Fidelity uses, in looking at my motley collection of 4x5 and 5x7 holders, the material appears to be a plastic sheet that I’d guess to be a form of ABS plastic. Garolite is a Phenolic impregnated paper which I can assure you is perfectly suitable for darkslides. (I can’t make any comment about it’s suitability for infrared film, somebody else will have to make that test). I measured the thickness of a 4x5 Riteway at 0.030” and a 5x7 Lisco at 0.031”. I would not hesitate to us 1/32” (0.032”) Garolite for 8x10 holders.

For 11x14 holders, 1/32" might be a bit thin because of a potential to “sag” at the edge that finds it’s way into the slot in the flap end, especially if the holder is laid flat when inserting the darkslide. I’m almost certain the 16x20 folks will need the heavy-duty 1/16” Garolite. Like I said earlier, if it were available in metric thickness, 1.0 mm (0.040”) it would be ideal.