Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
Please elaborate Michael.
Brian: I'll try, but these things are pretty subjective, depending on lighting, background etc. etc. as you know. I haven't done any densitometry on changes in contrast or d-max yet (not that it really matters) so I'll restrict my comments to colour for now.

Anyway a bit about the method just for reference. The grey scale strips are identically exposed and developed (in this case, my standard Dektol 1+2 and also repeated in SE3 because I still have some left). Toning is then carried out at 22C (washing is at 20C) for 5 minutes at 1+10, 1+20, and 1+40 (KRST diluted in working strength Ilford Washaid). The strips are labelled on the back. After drying I lay them out on warm and cool white mat board and try to evaluate under tungsten, halogen, and mixed daylight/tungsten. I also do "blind" tests by shuffling them (to prevent bullshitting myself ).

Preliminary observations (Dektol tests):

-Note I've always found when developed in Dektol, MGIV toned in KRST exhibits only the slightest perceptible (debatable) neutralization at 1+20, with a still relatively small, but noticeable neutralization/cooling at 1+10 without a shift toward plum/purple, so these are my reference points for comparison.
-Without toning, MG Classic seems slightly warmer than MGIV, visible in midtones
-Virtually no change to MG Classic at 1+40
-Small neutralization effect on MG Classic at 1+20. Directionally I would describe this as the typical selenium shift away from the slight greenish cast of most neutral papers.
-Noticeable shift of MG Classic to plum colour at 1+10

For me it seems like the sweet spot is around 1+20. Of course toning time affects everything. Maybe more time at 1+40 or a little less at 1+20 or some dilution in between.

As an additional comment, the trend seemed to be the same after development of MG Classic in SE3 (although without toning it starts off more neutral/cold in SE3 than Dektol). By trend I mean the changes in selenium vs straight were small until I got to 1+10 at which point the colour shift becomes pronounced. So in general with MG Classic that would seem to be approximately where one might want to start in terms of dilution if people want more pronounced colour shifts with selenium than they were used to getting with MGIV. I would not characterize this as "cooling" though. For that you probably need the new cold tone paper (which I have not tried). Or use a cold tone developer like SE3 or SE6 etc. and use dilute selenium.

My two cents so far.