Quote Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
I've been kicking around getting into 4x5 and after 6 months of checking the local craigslist have never once seen an enlarger there. We live in the absolute sticks I swear. The closest I've seen enlargers advertised is a 4 hour drive each way and most of the ones for 4x5 or larger they want anywhere from $500-2000 for. Several of the Beseler 23C II's for reasonable prices at any given time which isn't much help, but that's a long way to drive to find out somethings it's junk.
You should look at big city CL's. I cant say how many times poeple have tried to make us take their enlargers. Not for money, just so they dont have to deal with taking it out to the dump themselves.... You should just post a wanted ad on the local freecycle or CL and see whats happens. While there are plenty of LF enlargers our there worth a 1500$ or other hefty sum investment, a first, basic 4X5 enlarger shouldent cost much. That said, they often do not include all you will need such as carriers or lenses, but its a good start. Once you decide if you want to move up then you can look at some nicer Ebay listings for nicer enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
Is it possible to scan a 4x5 contact print and enlarge to have commercially printed? Or would the quality be questionable?
While technically this can be done, and some might subjectively feel its an OK thing, you cannot really scan a contact and make a viable large print out of it.