It sounds like there is a diffuser then. Typically the diffuser sits directly above the negative. I think thats what you're saying, yes?
You say there's a ground glass. Diffusers are usually a white translucent plastic/glass. Unlike a ground glass they won't form an image but look like you would be viewing through milk. IE:white, with a pretty even light, no hot spot.