Quote Originally Posted by sircarl View Post
I know this topic has been done to death, but I thought I'd report on an interesting personal experience.

Just today I removed from their frames six RC prints of mine, produced in my darkroom on 12 X 16 Ilford Multigrade IV Pearl RC. They have been in frames in our two Philadelphia houses over the past three years, WITHOUT any glass or plexi covering -- because I prefer to exhibit them that way, but also because I had read somewhere online that RC prints can suffer if confined behind a cover. (Something about urban gases being trapped there, eating away at the print surface.) For two years they were hung in fairly subdued light, but this past year they were in a very bright location, with the sun actually shining directly on some of them for a couple of hours a day.

As it happens, I have virtually identical prints of these same photos, done at the same enlarger settings and processed in the same way, stored in an archival box. So I compared the prints removed from the frames with these boxed prints.

There was absolutely no difference.

Obviously, this is a particular set of circumstances, and I realize that RC prints exhibited in other circumstances may show deterioration over time. But I personally have never found any such deterioration, even in my prints done over ten years ago (all on the same paper). YMMV.
I have some experience withat because I moved from house to house quite a bit in the last 20 years. from my experience i can say:
the worst for printsRCor FB(butespecially Agfa and KodakRC)are fresh wall paintsand new carpets. I narrowed the problem further downfurther.in mycase deterioration happened to RC ore likely than FB but never to either of them even if onlymildly toned in poly sulphide.Now toning is part of my standard workflow.