Hey all,

I've decided to construct this short write-up to talk about "G.A.S". G.A.S. meaning that bloated, sickening feeling some(dare I say many?) internet forum readers get when they've acquired too much photographic gear. I'm writing this as a former addict/G.A.S. sufferer. I'm not writing this as a tell-you-what-to-do, as that's best done on a case-by-case basis(since we're all individuals!).

A small bit of background:
I am a nerd, a self-described camera nerd. I like gear. I like the technology and how it works. I am a product of the late 80's, and had two grandfathers who were in the engineering/construction trade. Therefore, many of my early childhood Christmas and birthday gifts from them were legos, tinker toys, Meccano sets, etc... I love building, designing, improving, updating things. "Stock" doesn't work for me most of the time, I believe in tailoring one's tools to their needs. Long story short, when I was introduced to photography, I instantly wanted to buy camera stuff. I started digital(small superzoom Kodak digicam purchased with money earned working a summer job during HS), but was gifted a Pentax K1000 and in my senior year of high school(2005-2006), I was introduced to medium format. HOG HEAVEN! Big, luscious 6x7 RB67 negatives/transparencies(these were what got me hooked!) that a friend(now RIP) introduced me too. Well, I had to have one. 18yrs old saw me starting a checking acct, putting my $2k of saved earnings from the prior year's summer working in a warehouse(under the table mind you!), and opening and eb** account. That right there(eb**) was the bees-knees to the photographic gear I so longed for(and THOUGHT I "needed" to succeed)!
Well 'this' led to 'that', which has repeated itself over so many times(I've never kept a tally of everything I've had in my hands, but it's been a lot)
Fast forward to today, 2014(wow, time flies)! A new year, and a cleaner sense of life, a vastly slimmed-down profile of gear to use in my closet, and a much cleaner vision of what to use, and when to use it.
Do I regret this decision to slim myself down equipment-wise? Yes, and no. I've realized that I had too much, and whilst standing amongst my things this past summer, I realized it was ALL TOO MUCH. Too much of this, too much of that. Time to downsize. I made up a list of everything I had used in the past month, and have pretty much sold the rest off. I decided I no longer wanted to be a "collector", but a user. I don't baby/coddle my equipment anymore. I don't give a hoot if a new scratch, bump or mark shows up on a piece of equipment. As long as it works as intended, and doesn't give me a hard time, I use it and don't really care about it's potential resale value.

I calculated(roughly) that if I had stuck with much of my 1st purchases(for each format), I'd have saved enough time(I value my time at $50/hr, not gloating, just stating a fact) to put $15,000 in the bank. Maybe more, but at least $15,000. This is just TIME(chasing the next "deal", yada yada yada), not counting lost value of resale price vs original purchase price on some items. To me, $15,000 is NOT something to sneeze at, nor take lightly.

As I write this, I think of all the things I could have done with the time wasted chasing "deals"(for intention to resell, or just for myself) instead of photographing or traveling. What a waste. As I'm visiting with family here in Australia the past month(with another 2.5 weeks to go), I've realized that experiences don't have a pricetag. TIME is something you cannot get back. Once it's gone, it's gone. I used to stay up late, scrounging through ebay, craigslist(all over the country, not just LA), etc. looking for the next deal, that elusive piece of gear that I needed to "have" in my arsenal. That piece of gear that'd make me a better photographer. I was dead wrong. What a waste of time.

I see a lot of people asking "what should I do?" here, and elsewhere. I don't comment on them for the most part now, primarily because only THEY(themselves) can answer that question as to what THEY need to do. We(as the outsiders) can only give facts, and share OUR experiences if we have ones to share.

This commercial(below) pretty much sums up the really screwed up life I see many young people living now. They live their lives looking at a screen, rather than engaging others and sharing experiences(or just living themselves). Is travel cheap? No, not really. But taking 1 trip a year(even for a long weekend) can solve a lot of issues, even if you don't take a single picture. Just get out, stop chasing gear, stop chasing those "magic bullets" that we HOPE will make us a better photographer. Use what we have available to us, and if we still cannot find ourselves able to cut it, and the only variable to reaching that pinnacle we want IS the equipment, THEN search for another tool to achieve that goal.

Sorry if this seems/ed like a rant or madman's oration, but I felt it needed to be written. Maybe only for myself; perhaps someone out there in internet-land will concur(not that I'm asking for felicitations or anything). But I do not wish for anyone to chase faeries solely for the sake of photographic satisfaction, or to appease that little voice in your head that sometimes states boldly: "You need more!". Today, my cameras are just that: tools to create with. Just like a painter's brushes, they each have different capabilities, and different ways of working, allowing for varied results at the end. I pick and choose based upon that end result desired. Be it a 5x7 sheet of film, or a cell phone in my pocket; different tools for different jobs.

Think before you act(or purchase). That's all I can recommend. Of course it's your wallet, your sanity, your household and your life. I just wish you the best in your endeavors.

All the best for 2014, get out there and photograph more! Check out the Classifieds sections, just don't live there. Gear is replaceable, lost time and experiences are not.

cheers,
Dan