Ortholux,

I've had "Small-scale Prep...." on my treasure hunt list for a long time. I've never seen it come up for sale or as an e-book. I suspect an e-book, Google or otherwise, will be the first place it's available. If you find it, I hope you share the source.

In the meantime, there are options for you to try. At the very least you'll learn the nuts and bolts of emulsion making and be ready to take maximum advantage of Crawford's work.

A plain silver (i.e., one made without ammonia) is by its nature very fine-grained. If you look here: http://thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/html...tent=31Aug2013 , you can see the detail possible in a 0.1 inch square negative. The negative of boats in the harbor was made with a Sputnik camera -- not known for laser-sharp optics. The recipe is here: http://thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/html...tent=07Sep2013 but be aware that it is part of an educational series. If you start at the beginning of the Light Farm tutorials, you will know how to make an emulsion.

Once you have a handle on the basics, and if you feel you'd like to try for even finer grain, there are a few procedural techniques that will get you there. Try them first one by one, and then in various combinations. This isn't near as much work as it sounds, but the truth is, there isn't a shortcut to proficiency. How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

1) Increase the viscosity of the precipitation gelatin. Do this by taking from the Second Gelatin.
2) Increase the rate of the silver nitrate addition. Pour it in all at once in a slow, steady stream.
3) Shorten the time of the "ripening" after the silver nitrate addition. This is the time the emulsion sits in the waterbath after you've added the silver and before you've added the second gelatin.
4) Substitute potassium or sodium chloride for about a quarter of the ammonium bromide. The combining ratios are close enough that you can substitute one-for-one. Silver chloride, by its nature and as a general rule, is finer grained than silver bromide. It's also slower. Experimentation is your friend.

Best of luck and fun,
d