Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
The old cameras - they had the stuff! You had to turn all the right rings, almost like an ancient lock - to get the thing to work for you! Almost like taming a rune object or pulling the sword out of a stone! I know that photography can be summed up as a chemical reaction - but its not that, it is so very much not that! Its something that needs to be done in the total darkness, that needs to be done just the right way! There are all the magic potions, the correct order of doing things to a little black bucket that you cannot open until IT is ready to give up its secrets! And you have to do the right ceremony, incantations, dances, before it does!
And when all is said and done, in a dark little room by an erie red light, you breath the ghost from a little piece of film onto a piece of paper... and if you do everything right, the seanse results in the slowly coaxed, physical maniphestation taking shape in a little tray... Yes, its magic, I don't care what anyone says!
Most of us here are adults - and we still (at least I do) get a little stirr of excitement out of our photographic rain dance.
WELL SAID! That is exactly why I do photography. I was thinking that very thing this morning whilst shaving my face. I recall that my 15 year old was watching me develop film a few months ago and commented that he loved watching me mixing, measuring and pouring chemicals. He said it looked like I was some kind of mad scientist (in a cool way!)