In a recent thread I discussed my procedure for printing and toning and it's a simple procedure.

I mentioned that "when I rush" or "when I use old chemicals" I occasionally get stains. But most of the time I have no problem.

Last night, I learned the procedure that leads to stains: When I leave out the wash between Fixer and Toner.

I can fit four trays in my sink, I wash prints by putting a small table under the holding tray and attaching a Kodak Tank and Tray Siphon to it.

---
This process leads to stain-free prints...
---
Print session:
1. Develop in Dektol 1:2 for 3 minutes.
2. Stop in Kodak Indicator Stop Bath 4cc in 32 ounces water for 30 seconds.
3. Fix in Kodak Rapid Fixer 1:7 (4 ounces + 28 ounces water) for 6 minutes each print fixed individually with continuous attention.
4. Holding tray of water during print session.
---
After print session:
Empty and rinse trays 1-3, raise tray 4 and attach siphon to running water.
5. Wash prints 2 hours.
6. Allow prints to soak overnight.
7. Turn the wash water back on in the morning.
---
Toning session:
8. Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 1:32
9. Wash prints 2 hours.

---
---
---
This process leads to an unpleasant brown cream colored stain over the entire print...
---
Print session:
1. Develop in Dektol 1:2 for 3 minutes.
2. Stop in Kodak Indicator Stop Bath 4cc in 32 ounces water for 30 seconds.
3. Fix in Kodak Rapid Fixer 1:7 (4 ounces + 28 ounces water) for 6 minutes each print fixed individually with continuous attention.
4. Holding tray of water during print session.
---
After print session:
Empty and rinse trays 1-3, raise tray 4 and attach siphon to running water.
But do not wash prints fully, instead proceed quickly to Toning session because you want to be able to dry the prints in the morning...
---
Toning session:
5. Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 1:32
6. Toss prints in the trash.
---

Now California is in a drought, so I am inclined to "do my part" and modify my working procedure with the addition of Hypo Clearing Agent. I think I would have been better off if I had used that... But my standard procedure relied upon the complete wash between fix and toning.