Hi Murray,
You are looking at what is also called "flange to film" distance and no, you don't have to subract film thickness from the measurement.
You can use a depth mic or a simple depth gauge. Mic would be more accurate a range of 1-2" should do for 35mm obviously longer for medium format.
Did you ever get the focus set on the cameras you were working on?