Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
This is an interesting thread in my opinion. I also do both - painting / sketching and photography. I feel that both benefit from each other even if they are different.
For me producing a photography is in some aspects similar to producing a painting - at least if the painting is done in front of the scene. In both cases placing the objects in a balanced (or purposely unbalanced) composition by changing ones own position and the placement of the different objects inside the image borders is crucial. But in a painting one has more freedom to accentuate the different things like one sees and feels them. In both, painting and photography, unconscious decisions take place - however in photography they are quick actions and one does not realize them directly - while during painting this is the thing which constitutes the main fun for me: how the painting is formed on the paper 'by itself' without thinking too much.
Maybe I can illustrate this with two examples: I recently sketched two images quickly with felt pens: one in front of a night scene and one of some old tires in the wood - and today I got the slide film back from development with the photos I made of theses scenes too. I find it interesting that for the night scene the painting is much more different to the photo - the painting representing more truly how I saw and felt the scene.

Attachment 81671

Attachment 81672

I think your post shows just how difficult photography is. Both photos are basically just snaps with poor lighting and poor composition. But in your "mind's eye" you were able to see the true light and content and paint it as it would have been if the lighting conditions and perspectives were better. With a camera, the photos fail.

The painter is blessed with a blank canvas. He only puts in the things he wants in the way that will make it aesthetically pleasing and/or to accentutate the content. The photographer starts with a full canvas containing all sorts of things he has to get rid of and force perspective, lighting and other issues to eliminate the things that detract. A more difficult process.

By the way , I like your sketches.