Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
I'd fing explanatory pictures of interest, too, as I have 1c Color in the basement that, regrettably, I've yet to use! So any tips on getting it set up properly would be welcome.
You start with a good cleaning:

Condensor, AN glass, spacer

- First remove the anti newton glass from the condensor and take out the condensor. Wash it in warmish water with some soap for the dishes. Use a soft sponge. These condensors often look ok, but when you look closely there's often a fine layer of dust on the top . . . Dry it with a soft piece of cloth. If you have the anti newton filter under the condensor, then inside the head on the rim where the condensor rests there should be a 3mm brazz spacer, to compensate for the height of the an glass. Often this spacer is missing, or there's a much thinner one. In the end I think you can enlarge without the spacer, but maybe the focus cam needs a correction.

- Clean the column with white spirits and put some vaseline on it.

- The Focomats have (red indicated) tiny holes for lubricating: 1 - 2 drops of sewing machine oil will do.

- Try to remove as much dust as possible from the insides of the head and bellows. It pays to bring it to someone who has a high-pressure blower. In particular inside the bellows there can be lots of unwanted dust bits . . .

- The outside of black Focomats becomes beautiful when you, after cleaning, apply the following (a former Leitz repairer told me this): put a bit (1 - 2 cm) of white spirits in an empty jar and add 4 - 5 drops of normal lubricating oil (more greasy than sewing machine oil) - stirr it with a clean paintbrush and just apply that to the black wrinkled parts of the enlarger. The white spirits evaporates, the oils stays . . . Better to cover smaller patches at one time, than to soak the enlarger . . .

- Normally the focus cam is set correctly. You always check the sharpness of the grain with each negative you print. But I am curious about the procedure of adjusting the cam.