Dan's suggestion is a good one if you are looking to shoot "Pans" with a regular camera. You can use a regular camera and crop to the panoramic format. Your angle of view is limited to the coverage of the lens used. You can also use a "swing lens" camera which typically covers up to 140 degrees. These cameras have lens that swing on a pivot point to expose a stationary piece of film set in a curved film plane. The third type is a rotating panoramic camera that rotates on a pivot as the film moves past a slit in a continuous motion ( hopefully). These cameras can shoot over 360 degrees. The cirkut cameras were the first production cameras of this type. Globoscope, hulcher, and roundshot were some of the modern version of this type. I've shot a lot with cirkuts and roundshots and love them and images they shoot