Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
NDAs do not expire, they normally only have one escape clause

'except with written permission from the company secretary' a UK term for a incorporated company officer.

a company secret NDA might omit that clause.

so when a company folds lots of unpublished IPR dissapears except written or computer material. I've known a company that 'lost' the process computer disc cause it was too secret to archive - normally.

Many companies firewall information like a torn up pirate treasure map to prevent one person collecting a joining present from a competitor...

So when a whole team is made redundant unless the whole team stays together they cannot easily 'find the treasure', unless they take their note books with them they will need to rely on memory.

Actually, NDAs vary from country to country. Mine had an expiration date, and even that was ruled invalid by the courts here because the job "Photo Engineer" was so restrictive, many of us could not get jobs if laid off unless we violated the NDA in some way or another. So, the NDA was ruled to be excessive restriction in a small area of potential re-employment. You see, we had become too specialized.

As for someone buying Ilfords formulas, well, no one is going to get into coating the paper so that is virtually out. That leaves just the paper out there and the people willing and able to mix their own! That market is "frozen in time" and will eventually vanish. Who wants to make processing chemistry for a vanishing market?

Just about everything Ilford owns in this color range of products is defunct forever.

Even Kodak has published their formulas for processing and coating in patents which will either expire in a few years or in which the claims are not for the processing solutions. Thus, the chemistry is being donated to us in those publications. It is for you to look up the patents and get that data.

Even Ilfochrome formulas are out there in patents in one form or another. A good researcher will find them in a German or Swiss patent! I admit that the formulas are "generic", but with some tinkering they can be made to work. But then I alluded to that above.

PE