I can try a test this weekend and plot the results if it would help. Unfortunately I don't have the film Alan used though. I could maybe use something non-exotic like FP4 since I have other reference curves for that film in XTOL and DDX. But I'm not sure what development time to try here. Based on the quantities of developing agent in W3, and its pH, I would expect it to behave more like a print developer in terms of activity and with high fog since it definitely (my opinion based on the formula) needs a restrainer. W3 contains the kinds of quantities we'd normally see in a stock print developer before dilution to working strength.

I'm still wondering why it is so strongly formulated. Perhaps I need to better understand the goal of W3. Is the intention to make a long lasting concentrate, or is it just to increase speed over D-76? Etc. Some thoughts:

-Phenidone film developers with superadditive secondary agents typically only contain a fraction of the amount in W3, even developers formulated for speed increases.

-There is a lot of ascorbic acid present, and at a pH of 9.8 it might be doing more than regenerating the Dimezone-S. For a speed increasing developer, it is usually desirable to try to keep contrast under control, but the formula as-is seems like it would produce high contrast.

-There is a lot of carbonate present, which would tend to make W3 highly buffered, which would tend to further promote contrast.

-To control fog, I suspect a significant quantity of BZT would be required in W3, which would tend to reduce speed and further promote contrast.