Maybe if you like a lot of grain, 35mm tabular-grain films will disappoint you. If you like the curve shape of 320 Tri-X, you'll have a hard time finding that in another film, tabular or not.

If you hate grain, then tabular-grain films are going to please you.

And, yes, every film is a bit different, both in processing and "look" with the same work-flow. And, if you are used to one thing, you won't want to figure out how to accomplish the same thing with different materials if you don't have to.

For me, disappearing films and papers is an inconvenience, since I have to start over, test, and figure out how to use the available materials to get what I want out of them. I'd rather stay with the tried and true; but that's not the film's fault. As Roger says, you can figure out a way to get what you want with most materials.

That said, tabular-grain films are a bit less forgiving of sloppy exposure and processing that many of the more "conventional" products (even the newer, tweaked ones). Sloppy workers are going to have troubles with them by comparison and, since this group is often the most vocal and lazy, will bad-mouth the film and blame it rather than clean up their act.

I think this latter comprises the bulk of the vilification of tabular grain films.

FWIW I shoot 320 Tri-X and TMY in sheet film along with an occasional TXM and get along with all of them just fine.

Best,

Doremus