I just did a test with Delta 100. Development time (1+9 dilution) was 7:00 at 68F. Given the high alkalinity, initial agitation was one minute. This was followed by my usual "standard" agitation (1-minute intervals).
The attached graphs show the gross D (including fog but excluding film base) and net D relative to the normal contrast curves obtained with XTOL. Obviously contrast in this trial with W3 was too high. Some combination of reduced development time, more dilution or less agitation would be required. However this would likely also mean reduced speed, which is already approximately equal to XTOL. Fog was measured approx 0.08 higher than XTOL developed to normal contrast. W3 fog level would be expected to decrease somewhat if developed to a lower gradient.
Experiments with other films would be required. This result with Delta 100 is reminiscent of the type of response I got when I tried TFX-2 with it. TMax 100 seemed to respond better to that developer.
Perhaps I should have tested W3 with a more traditional reference emulsion such as FP4. I still have the rest of the concentrate I mixed.
Last edited by Michael R 1974; 03-08-2014 at 10:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.