Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
... perhaps now is the time to give the Weston V a well earned rest and invest in a modern Light meter from manufacturers like Minolta or Sekonic etc.
While I wouldn't argue with the principle here - the Westons have one bbig advantage over (for example) the sekonic...

They're ANALOG!

The advantages of non-digital meters are signifigant (and totally unreated digitcam argument).

If I use a sekonik meter and take a reading it might tell me I need f/8.735. Wow it must be accurate - a thousandth of a stop!

If I use a weston ti tells me I need a smidge under f/8. However as the needle bounces around (I use a II and a III, rather than the 5 which has that nasty snapshot button), it becomes baltentlly obvious that the reading of f/8 was a flukey high/low reading, rather than a fair average of the scene.

I can wave the weston around and figure that the scene reads somewhere between 25 and 200 c/ft2. Obviously a spot meter will tell me this more accuratly and in more detail, but thats another step up the ladder.

I used to work in electronics and the old AVO meters were prefered for the same reason - you could poke around a circuit and just look for the needle bouncing rather than having to read off every voltage and contruct the scale in your head. Actually fluke dmm's have a bar that goes across the bottom of the screen to simulate the old needle.

Need a new meter? Maybe. Are the new digital ones necessarily better - definaly not. Now a good modern analoge meter might be nice - I gues we're looking forward to the Weston VI.

Ian