Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
Unfortunately, only the USA has actual regulations that allow hand inspection of photographic materials. The FAA has a sign for this, which is often (but not always) posted at airports. I don't believe any of the EU nations allow this liberty. Also, the FAA explicitly warns that one should never put photographic materials in checked baggage. There is a large technical literature about the effect of carry-on scanners, but one should remember that the dose to the film is cumulative if you need to go through checked-baggage x-ray many times before development.
I personally always put my film in a clear plastic bag and remove it from my carry on when going through the x-ray scanners. I figure that this prevents any problems should the inspectors decide they want to rescan or randomly search my bag for any reason.

When I did this in Beijing airport recently, the security personnel spotted my bag of film in the tray on the conveyor belt and immediately insisted on hand checking without even being asked.

I found southeast Asia to be very accommodating to film shooters. My bag went through 15-20 x-ray scans, but my film didn't go through any.

I don't even bother asking for hand checking in European airports, however.