Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
I mean that I didn't do any levels adjustments, the scanner did scan at it's own baseline, but effectively I did no adjustments, no contest, no clarity, nothing, no sliders, just made it a readable image instead of a 150mb TIFF file...

I just mean I didn't "cheat" and do any post scan adjustments at all.
It isn't a matter of "cheating" Stone. Scanning is a viable way of doing your work. It can produce lots of great stuff and if it works for you, great, embrace it and do good work.

I'm going to step out on the limb here though and super over-simplify to explain this at it's most basic because it is a concept that is important for people shooting film and sending it out to labs for printing to understand.

Sensor data + a set of instructions = a digital image.

Not using "a set of instructions" to "develop" the sensor data, is the equivalent of not using a developer on your film. You get no image at all, period.

Somebody has to define those instructions and those instructions vary from machine to machine, program to program, operator to operator, resolution setting to resolution setting.

The point I'm making is that the idea of a "straight scan" can only be applied "locally" (i.e at Stone's place) not globally (i.e at Stone's place and Mark's place and jnanian's place and Thomas's place and the local mini-lab).