Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
Richard,

Let me qualify

I'm talking about optimizing resolution and contrast here, nothing more. There's really no question that modern computer-aided designs and multi-coatings coupled with more stringent quality control and assembly procedures have resulted in a general improvement in these parameters when compared with single or uncoated lenses that were hand assembled and designed "on paper." Whether you like that or not or whether you call that "quality," is another issue.

The OP's question was about whether a particular color of filter would degrade contrast and sharpness more than another. That is what I was addressing, not aesthetic issues.

FWIW, there were/are a lot of older lenses that don't fit this generality; I love my Ektars and there are those who swear by the Red-dot Artars, etc. etc.

Best,

Doremus
I hear ya. :-)

And understand your point. I just take issue with the blanket statement that "modern" lens are "superior" to older ones. In many cases sharper and more contrasty? Yes. But that does not make them necessarily superior in my book.