Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
Vote with your feet or something about 32" higher. Piss on Kodak. It's a company gone bad. Bless Mister Eastman. It's been downhill ever since.
Okay, I've bit my tongue as long as I can hold out, but I have to reply now.

First, for those of you who don't know, I might be referred to as a Kodak "brat". My father worked for Kodak Canada for 36 years, retiring in 1984 when I was 28. Indirectly, I was fed, clothed, housed and educated with Kodak $ and Kodak knowledge for all of my formative years. My father and mother rely on a Kodak pension, which for the most part is generous, and flexible (i.e. the medical and dental benefits have for the most part continued to evolve as times have changed during my father's 20+ years of retirement). My Dad started out with Kodak at an entry level job, and left as a middle level manager.

From my perspective, Kodak was always fair to its employees, in fact reasonably generous. It continues to provide services to its retirees, even though its financial circumstances are clearly not what they used to be.

Kodak has always been a very big organization, and suffered some of the problems that go with that, but as far as I am aware there isn't even a hint that there have been any actions from Kodak like any of the recent scandals that have plagued some of the large corporate entities (Enron, etc.) recently.

Kodak is struggling with difficulties, and has discontinued business in at least one area that matters to us here - B&W paper. It clearly has made mistakes, and will probably make more, and some of those mistakes may result in products being discontinued that we would prefer remain available, but surely that is reason to criticize Kodak, not treat it with utter contempt.

To the best of my knowledge, Kodak hasn't ceased production without warning, sought bankruptcy protection or even stated that it intends to leave the film based photographic business. It has just sought to expand radically into the digital business, and react to a shrinking film business, probably in some ways we won't like.

This is a long, round-about way of saying to those who who have nothing good to say about Kodak, that you might wish to moderate your opinion somewhat.

It is also in particular a request to jjstafford - please change your avatar - it is really irritating to be presented time and time again with the image of someone urinating over a symbol of something that has value for thousands of people, and has particular value to those of us who rightly feel a strong feeling of loyalty to an organization which has personnally benefitted us greatly. I know that if my father saw it, it would make him sick, and considering the thousands of photographers of all types that he helped in his years of work, that seems incredibly unfair.