Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
Okay, I've bit my tongue as long as I can hold out, but I have to reply now.

First, for those of you who don't know, I might be referred to as a Kodak "brat". My father worked for Kodak Canada for 36 years, retiring in 1984 when I was 28. Indirectly, I was fed, clothed, housed and educated with Kodak $ and Kodak knowledge for all of my formative years. My father and mother rely on a Kodak pension, which for the most part is generous, and flexible (i.e. the medical and dental benefits have for the most part continued to evolve as times have changed during my father's 20+ years of retirement). My Dad started out with Kodak at an entry level job, and left as a middle level manager.

From my perspective, Kodak was always fair to its employees, in fact reasonably generous. It continues to provide services to its retirees, even though its financial circumstances are clearly not what they used to be.
<snip>
My father worked for a division of Kodak for about 10 years after he retired with 30+ years from GTE. I have a Kodak flag tacked up on a wall in my garage (no shit, I really do!) and have a couple of hundred sheets and several hundred feet of Kodak 35mm film in my 'fridge. I've both loved and hated various Kodak products for over 30 years.

Regardless of any of that, I still feel that Kodak's board is screwing the pooch. Like I said, Kodak isn't the only big company that messes up. Back in the early 1970's, my father led a design team at GTE that developed a huge, flat panel television plasma display. GTE Brass wasn't interested (though they did get the patents) saying "no one wants to hang a big TV on the wall". Shortly after, the Brass sold off Sylvania to Phillips and got out of the TV market. Had they run with the ball instead of dropping it, well... you get the picture.