There's another aspect of Kodak that I think lots for folks here are either missing, or don't want to see. I don't know actual production numbers, so I'll use theoretical ones. Kodak is/was setup for large production. All their machinery for making paper / film / etc. is designed to make large runs of it. Another company that's setup to make much smaller runs can make smaller runs much more economically than Kodak can. The film market IS getting smaller, and (for the masses) digital IS taking over. That's a fact, like it or not (and I don't like it any more than anyone else here does). So on to my theoretical numbers...

If Kodak is setup to produce 100,000 sheets of photographic paper a month, but is now only selling 10,000 sheets a month, they can't compete with a smaller company that's setup to make 15,000 sheets a month, and is making 10,000 sheets per month. Considering that paper is a dated material, it's not like they can make a 10 year supply, then mothball their production line for 10 years!

The bottom line is that we don't know the inside numbers, and I think it's harsh to judge what a company does without knowing the inside info. Having said that, it's completely possible that knowing the numbers, the choices Kodak is making would make complete sense. It's also possible that knowing the numbers, their moves might only make sense to a Harvard Business School graduate/moron, what some on one computer related mailing list I subscribe to call 'suits'. Personally I'm more inclined to believe the second explanation, but the fact is I just don't know.

As for using Kodak products, I'm going to use whatever I can get, be it Kodak, or otherwise, I'm not going to go out of my way to stock up on Kodak, and I'm not going to go out of my way to avoid Kodak.

-Mike