Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
[*]Dignan's original article mentions an acetic acid stop bath, and you recommend a stop bath of 20% vinegar. I take it this is in addition (prior) to the blix step? I ask simply because I've not seen mention of a separate acid stop bath in other descriptions of color processing. Would standard Kodak Indicator Stop Bath be suitable (I've got a bottle of it handy)? Are there any stop baths that should be avoided? Should I keep the stop bath for color work separate from that for B&W work, to avoid cross-contamination of chemistry, or can I just use one bottle and not worry about that?

[*]On a more general note, some descriptions of color processing mention using a stabilizer as the last step. (One formula I found for stabilizer specifies a mixture of water, formaldehyde, and photo-flow.) Others don't mention this step. What's the purpose of this step, and why is it sometimes omitted?[/list]

Thanks for any clarification of these issues.
Minilab machines use squeeges or whatever to wipe the film down between steps. That's supposedly good enough to stop development. In a small tank at home you can't do that. So using a stop is a good idea.

I wouldn't use indicator stop. I've no idea how it would react with the film dyes.

Stabilzer stabilzes the dyes in the film. The US workers protection agency pushed the film companies over people handling formaldye. I think they wanted the workers actually trained how to be safe. Kodak reformulated thier chemicals so the chemicals make formalhdye during the processing. That means the lab workers don't have to hande a bottle with formaldhye in it. But the process still has it.