ken,

thanks for your kind comments - and thoughtful, complete description...

i enjoyed the process and this image... i'm glad you did too.

unfortunately i'm technologically challenged and about 5 years ago made the considered choice to eschew all things digital, where possible. a luddite! the truth is my scanner died, probably from disuse. i scanned only 1 photo in it's lifetime, and few other items. i haven't replaced it!

i did recently consider the desire to post photo's here - to get input/advice, for others to see, etc. knowing myself, i realized if i'd bought a scanner, i'd inevitably "need" a newer, faster, better - printer/plugin/software, etc. - leading to more expense. the next thing you know i would have bought a digital camera, egads!. so i haven't!

thanks to all in the exchange - i continue to learn and be inspired by your pictures, efforts and comments!

jvo

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
Yesterday I received a wonderful print from Jim. The photograph was made inside the mid-19th century Oaklawn Cemetery in Tampa, Florida (USA), which is described as "...the final resting place for 'White and Slave, Rich and Poor.'"

The print came reverse-mounted to a two-tone bevel-cut window mat, and ink-stamped with an ID logo on the backside. There was also an included letter describing much of the local history of this cemetery.

I am especially appreciative when individuals include such background information. Personally I think it makes looking at photographs far more interesting when one knows some of the context surrounding them.

The print is titled Tree Person, and the subject is a marvelously foreshortened study of what appears to be an ancient oak tree set amongst a group of equally ancient ornate fenced family-style burial plots. I have always been a fan of straight ahead direct studies that make use of shapes, forms and tones. This photograph qualifies, in my opinion.

The overlapping vertical headstones lie underneath, and are dominated by, the overarching oak tree. The tree itself begins with a tremendously stout trunk, then filigrees out in fractal precision until the eventually microscopic branches and leaves literally vanish into the skylight.

It's a striking blend of strength and delicacy. And sobering to think that the tree itself may quite literally be an aggregation of all who rest beneath it, thus perhaps giving a literal physical expression to the declaration 'White and Slave, Rich and Poor'.

Thanks, Jim. Very much appreciate your time and effort.

Any chance a scan might be available for posting?

Ken

(Note to Bert: I am now both SENT and RECEIVED, and thus complete for this round.)