1) Make sure your inspection light bulb is only 15 watts.
Originally Posted by Silverpixels5
2) Use a foot switch to activate it.
3) If you're using pyrocat HD, you'll need a red filter rather than a green one. If you use green you can't see anything. If you use amber you'll fog the film. If you're using ABC pyro or a non-staining developer, use a green inspection light.
4) Expose only the non-emulsion side to the light.
5) Keep the light 3 feet away from the negative. As you get better at inspection you can violate this rule for VERY brief looks, but for now I'd keep it at three feet. At least.
Hope this helps. DBI is a lot easier than it sounds. Good Luck!