Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
sun of sand, the difference in stability can be easily explained by the difference in tap water across the globe. People from Australia report, that their Xtol goes bad within days, while yours evidently lasts forever. The key issue seems to be Iron content of tap water. While Xtol uses a powerful sequestering agent (DTPA) to control the Fenton reaction, more Iron still means more remaining effect and less stability.

My local water
I have a well
I don't use tap for anything

Spring No. 1, analyzed by Profs. Silliman and Norton—
..................................Grains.
...Sulphuric acid................134.732
...Proto-suiphate of iron.........28.623
...Sulphate of alumina............21.690
...Sulphate of lime...............74.891
...Sulphate of magnesia...........35.596
...Sulphate of potash..............5.519
...Sulphate of soda................6,343
...Chloride of sodium..............2.434
...Chloride of silica..............4.592
.....Total grains per gallon.....314.420

Spring No. 2, analyized by Prof. E. Emmons—
...Sulphate of lime................1.552
...Sulphate of magnesia............0.623
...Sulphate of iron................4.904
...Free sulphuric acid............16.132
...Free organic matter.............1.360
...Free silica.....................0.230
.....Total grains in a pint.......24.801

Spring No. 3, Analyzed by Prof. B. Emmons—
...Free sulphuric acid............12.414
...Sulphate of lime................0.736
...Sulphate of iron................3.920
...Sulphate of magnesia............1.236
...Organic matter..................0.100
...Silica a........................trace
.....Total grains in a pint.......18.406

A writer in the New York Journal of Commerce in July, 1849, gives the following “description of the Alabama Sour Springs:”

During my stay in Batavia I have visited the Oak Orchard Acid Spring, situated in the town of Alabama, about 14 miles from the village, 18 from Lockport, and 8 miles from Medina. The spring is in Tonawanda Swamp, on a little elevation, on which and in the immediate vicinity eight springs have been discovered, three of which are acid, one sulphur, one magnesia, one iron, and one gas spring sufficient to light 50 gas burners. The principal one is called “sour spring,” from which the celebrated Acid Water is taken, which is carried in great quantities to the Eastern cites, and many boxes sent to the Westenr States. About 25,000 bottles have been sold this past year at 25 cents per bottle. These springs are very highly recommended by Professor Emmons of Albany, Dr. Chilton of New York, and Professor R. Silliman, jr., of Yale College. Dr. Chilton says they contain of:
...Free sulphuric acid.............85.96
...Sulphate of lime................39.60
...Proto-suiphateof iron...........14.32
...Sulphate of alumina..............9.68
...Sulphate of magnesia.............8.28
...Silica ..........................1.04
...Organic extr active matter.......3.38
.....From one gallon..............160.62

Prof. Emmons remarks that “the peculiar character of these waters renders them useful in many chronic diseases especially those of the digestive organs and those of weakness and debility.” Dr. James McNaughton of Albany says: “The internal arid external use of these waters I have no doubt will prove valuable in the treatment of several chronic cutaneous diseases.” Dr. Robert Campbell of Pittsfield, Mass.. says: “As medical agents they must be highly beneficial for all chronic diseases of the stomach and bowels.” There are numerous other testimonials from eminent physicians. A good hotel has been erected by Messrs. J. C. Colton of Lockport and Thomas W. Olcott of Albany, which is kept in a very handsome manner by Messrs. Everett & Harrington, two industrious young men, who deserve and have received a very liberal patronage.