Quote Originally Posted by girlafraid View Post
I've just had my first big film disaster.

I'm so angry with myself and I'm desperate for it not to happen again. I've never had a film that couldn't be developed in the 3 years since I quite digital. Of course it had to be a precious roll too. It was due to a catalogue of errors which started with me forgetting to zero the image counter when I loaded the film. As for what went wrong after that I'm guessing either it somehow got caught or I went past the point it needed to be rewound if not both. Anyway the film completely came out of the cassette. I did get it out in as dark a room as I could but clearly it got exposed. To be honest I think I knew it was ruined but I just couldn't let go of the hope something had survived so I sent it off. A completely blank film was returned. I know the best thing to do would have been to take the whole camera into a camera shop or such like but that wasn't really possible.

I never want this to happen again. What is the best way to deal with this situation or tips to stop it happening? Or just reassurance I'm not a complete idiot for letting this happen!

I kind of hated film for the next few days! As someone who has lost countless digital shots I always had a certain sense of smugness that now all my photos are safely in a draw. Not these though.

Just some info -
35mm film
Zenit e camera
just out of curiosity, what type of film were you using and where did you get it developed? (eg: pro lab or store.) If it wasn't a pro lab it may indicate that you may have not done anything wrong. Just going out on a hunch about receiving a completely blank roll and saying that the film had left the cassette: perhaps standard B&W put in to C-41 chemistry? If it was color film or B&W C-41 process, forget about this post altogether. Also, a little trick: when you load the film use the rewind knob so your film has a bit of tension-this way you can see that the film is advancing.