Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
David:

Grafmatic's are in fact a fairly new device. I'm pretty sure they came out either in 1950, or a year or so later, so they're in fact NOT at least 60 years old, but rather a new device obviously designed for young folks that have a need for speed!

I have a bunch of them, and love them! At the moment I only have a couple of bag mags, but both of them are the new style, with patent dates from 1920! I used to have one of the older style plate bag mags, but I sold it along with my Super D.

Another back that's kind of interesting is the Kinematic back. It's similar to a grafmatic (in fact some of the parts are SO similar that I often wonder if they weren't made by the same company), except they hold 10 shots, and don't seem to be made quite as nicely as the grafmatics are (the mechanism seems cheaper). I have a couple of them, but only one is usable, the other needs work.
I think you're right, Mike. I checked on Graflex.org, and Les, who knows such things, says the Grafmatic was introduced in 1950.

I've also got bunch of Grafmatics and a Kinematic holder. I think the Kinematic was manufactured in Cleveland, Ohio. It's nice to have 10 sheets in one holder for an afternoon stroll, but it is flimsier than the Grafmatics. If I'm not careful, it's possible to pull the inner box right out of the holder and watch the loaded septums go flying. Fortunately that only happened when I was testing it the first time.

For the 5x7" Press Graflex, I've got a plate bag mag with film sheaths and a film bag mag. That plate mag must have weighed a ton with 12 glass plates in it!