Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post

I don't think either is wrong in their approach. Each has a system that works for them.

Personally when I shoot more, I start seeing more. Another advantage I find in shooting more is acclimatizing my subjects to what I'm doing and the inevitability of me getting their photo, this is truly helpful when shooting events for both candids and formal shots. The extra shots also help me "learn my subject better".
the last sentence says it for me mark
the more you shoot something, the more you understand it
whether it is the equipment, lighting, film, developer or subject.
i have a thing for shooting underpasses as i go under them. different times of day
piers, plank buttresses, drainage infrastructure, blinding light no light slow fast shutter flash
through windows out sunroof or windows different formats lenses, seasons traffic &c and the more i expose the different things
i realize or see or understand. so while i may have exposed 300+ views and not gotten the one i want,
i might not know what i want until i can't shoot that subject or that bridge or that light or ? anymore
and i will be forced to look at all the frames and pick out the one that i think IS the bridge.
if my background was an engineer or construction or inspector i would look for 1 thing (maybe)
but as a bystander i look for something else .. and luckily i havent found it yet so every time i photograph it it
is almost a new experience.
as someone with a camera i learn by seeing sometimes,
and as a historian i learn by asking questions
and i find nothing wrong with questioning and seeing at the same time ( if that makes sense )