Quote Originally Posted by Robert
Hasn't Kodak being doing this since about 1982! I remember somebody mentioning Kodak more or less killed thier film R&D department off then. Firing all the film people and replacing them with people who would be digital. This was the early 80s.

Oh and the guy the new guy is replacing. Wasn't he a digital guy brought in a year or two ago?

They are also again claiming digital camera sales will pass film cameras. You know one year they'll be right but it'll be a long time until the number of digital cameras in use pass the number of film cameras in use.
Everyone who has posted on this subject seems to have a very good "take" on corporate America's latest problem, not just Kodak's. Aside from the facts of life, I will bore you with an observation made during the '70s and '80s.

The Hitchcock Chair company was run from a smallish plant in Ct. I hope some of you will remember the Hitchcock line of furniture. It was unique and, IMO, well constructed, designed, and finished (especially the characteristic air-brushed "still lifes" on the back of the chairs.

When I was doing an engineering job for the Navy, I had to pass by the Hitchcock place on my way between the airport at Windsor Lock and Thomaston (a 50 minute drive through some beautiful, hilly country). Finally I had the opportunity to stop and take a "tour".

At the end of the plant there were stacks of lumber, walnut, cherry, mahogany, oak – you get the picture? Workmen were carrying the wood through the double doors to their mill where it was cut and shaped. IOW, it was a complete business with raw material going in one end and finished products out the other. I noticed that the average age of the craftsmen was about 60.

Well, the next year, the wood pile was gone and the year after that the Hitchcock plant was gone. The management saw no reason to train young people before the old guys left, so they “farmed out” work, imported parts and became an icon to corporate America of the ‘80s. I would have loved to have been able to “take over” operation of that place about the time of its degradation. I believe that with proper management, the company could still be in business today.

Also at Thomaston: The Seth Thomas clock plant, which used to manufacture some nice stuff, was importing their products ready-made from (fill-in-the-blank) and placing the Seth Thomas label on them. They used to do it all there in Thomaston – now they are gone.

Get used to it. I’m glad I will not survive the next twenty years as I hate to see my grandchildren living in a place with so much disdain for history and tradition and seeing only the “bottom line”. Long live APUG! Dr bob.