From what I hear, it is not all a bed of roses on the "Digital" front either. It's true that many analog photographers have given up and either sold their traditional equipment to buy digital cameras, or mothballed them.

However, the digital market appers to have peaked some time ago. Sales are definitely down, and the activity overall in both areas of photography is receding all the time.

I think there are two factors involved: A sense of "novelty" with the digital media coupled with the idea of "You don't have to learn anything!" (inseperable with learning is dedication); and the inherent demon of digital photography - the rapid obsolescence of equipment (a la' everything else to do with PCs).

I wonder what the future holds ... I see fewer and fewer serious - dedicated - fascinated (all descriptive of the same character) photographers coming up ... but those who are, are very, very good. There probably will be a number of "lower end", inexpensive digital cameras in use (perceived as throw-aways) by those who are only into photgraphy as a means of memory stimulation .. I don't like the term "snapshots"; and a corps of Fine Art and high level Commercial photographers - do I dare utter the sacriledge - STILL using film, and STILL making high quality "chemically - processed" prints.

Let's see - predictions that seemd good at the time:

Paper (papyrus?) and cloth will obsolete cave walls.
Silverpoint wil obsolete charcoal.
Pastels will obsolete -- I don't know -- something in there, somewhere.
Tempura will obsolete silverpoint and charcoal.
Oils will obsolete tempura.
Acryilics will obsolete oils.
Water based Oils will obsolete conventional oils.

Related - Digital music will replace orchestras ...

I'm just going to set myself on "ignore digital" (well... mostly) and concentrate on images that *I* want to make.