Quote Originally Posted by seadrive
Please guys, let's not forget the inestimable amount of money Kodak invested in all things photographic over the past century. The exhibits and the people they sponsored were an important step along photography's journey from a hobby to an accepted form of art. We are all much better off (photographically-speaking) for the existence of Kodak.

They are doing what they feel they need to do to survive and prosper, as would any of you. It's not rational to expect them to keep losing money in areas where the profit margins, combined with the expected sales volume, are not high enough to warrant continued investment.

Yes, we'll be fine without Kodak, but I for one am not going to spit on them. Fine art photography would not be where it is today, were it not for Kodak.
Yes, it's called 'advertisement' and 'promotion'! It had nothing to do with being nice or supporting the film community...

They are doing what the bean counters tell them... Two years ago, their classic, core film division was their only one to make a profit! They use those profits to buy other companies and invest deeply into digi... They no longer do anything to support film users and they don't care. They are a corporation and have no feelings for users. I know some employees that are just sickened by kodaks actions of late. Nothing they can do either, except file for unemployment for the most part.

These supposed "loses" in the film industry are on paper, against projected earnings. Against these projected earnings, a posted loss becomes a tax deduction. It coporate America at work...

I too will be deeply upset when Plus-X and Tri-X is no longer made. But kodak will soon be a simple distributor of cheap Asian digi garbage (not a knock on Asia by the way).

They owe us nothing. They are a corporation... We owe them nothing. They are a corporation... What they did in the past was essentially a different company. It's gone now. It could be reborn, but I wouldn't hold my breath...