RichSBV wrote above: "What they did in the past was essentially a different company. It's gone now. It could be reborn, but I wouldn't hold my breath..."

I disagree. Kodak is doing today what it has done since its inception in the 1800s. The products are different, but the corporate philosophy is the same.

I begin by refereing you to two books on business: "Good to Great" and "Built to Last". Both books are excellent, and I recommend them to all, even if you have only a passing interest in business. The underlying principals apply to anyone who wants to do the best work possible--or in my case, to produce the best photographs possible.

The books examine a number of great corporations and examine the common elements which made them great. Kodak was not one of the companies.

One of the key concepts is for a business to follow its core philosophy. The books tack companies that have followed their cores--some for well over a hundred years.

Last week I was reading a history of photography, and it dawned on me what Kodak's core philosophy has been since at least the introduction of the Kodak Brownie: "Photography should be a democratic process, open to all, and as easy for the masses to pursue as possible." After all, the motto for the
brownie was "You press the button, we do the rest."

Kodak almost single-handedly created the consumer photography market and it has been the core of its business for over a hundred years. Yes, it has supported fine are photography, but mainly as a way to increase awareness of its products among the masses, not out of some burning desire to promote photography as Art. Remember, photography as Art wasn't even an issue when Kodak was formed.

Kodak's actions today seem to be in line with their core. The masses are moving to digital. Kodak want's to provide photographic supplies to the multitudes. So, Kodak moves to digital.