I can't speak on the 80-200 other than what I purchased last week. I ordered the "AF 80-200mm f/2.8D" from B&H. It is the "two ring" version, with the short beefy (better) tripod mount. One ring for zoom control, one for focusing. There is a slim ring between these two with a small button on it, you press the button and rotate a few degrees to switch between manual and auto focus. Works quite nicely, although the AF-S with internal motor are easier to override manually. I believe this one is still the old optics, with the AF-S version using updated optics. You should be able to verify this with a web search. Ken Rockwell did a nice writeup on this lens, and he has quite a few Nikon lenses reviewed on his site ( http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200.htm ).

If you are doing any shooting outside, I suggest you pick up the lens hood (if I remember correctly it is the HB-7, but check first, or ask & I will look at mine when I get home). Nikon includes the honkin' lens case which I would rather not have had to pay for, but when it is included you don't have much of a choice. I wish they would sell the lens for a little less and include the hood instead.

Nice lens, handles well, but I have yet to develop the film. As always, one doesn't know until you see the prints. But, I am hopeful.