Quote Originally Posted by sanking
With rotary processing I get very even development over every square millimeter of the film, and the chances of doing any damage to the film are virtually nil.

Now seriously, why would one brush develop if there are no advantages over rotary processing? In other words, why in the world would you stand there brushing film in the dark when you could just watch it turn around in a drum in the light unless there is some advantage to be had on the final print?

I can understand the logic of those who develp ULF film in trays, but there at least you have the advantag of being able to develop several sheets at a time instead of just one or two as I am able to do with 7X17 and 12X20 film. But the logic of brush develoment escapes me.

Sandy
In my case Sandy, coupled with inspection I have found it to be a better solution for me. I have the Jobo expert drum which I used on a Beseler motor base and I have found that although time development is usually correct there have been times when inspection has allowed me to correct times to make up for mistakes in exposure.

Since inspection is only possible, or at least far easier when done in trays then brush developing offers the most even developing one could get. As stated before as even as drum developing with the added control of inspection.

Since I started doing this method I have never had the edge effect problems, no uneveness or streaks.

SO to answer your question, if you want to do tray development and want the same even smoothness as drum developing then brushing is the best way to go. OTOH I was never good at doing multiple sheets in a tray, I just never liked the process and cannot imagine how you can keep even agitation while you shuffle sheets. I ruined more sheets by scratching them with the corners than I have ever done by brushing. I have ruined 5 sheets in about 12 years of doing it and that was my fault for using a brush which was dirty.