I've recently begun doing my own C-41 processing, and I concur with what others here say: It's not significantly harder than doing B&W processing. The worst of it is temperature control, which means using a water bath or processing machine. Other than that, it's no harder than B&W. There are fewer Web resources for C-41 processing than for B&W processing, though, which means you may be left with questions about details when you first start.

I've also done one roll of E-6 slide film (Kodak Elite Chrome 200) in C-41 chemistry (actually in NCF-41, which technically isn't C-41). I just followed the normal NCF-41 steps and got negatives. In my case, they were awfully dense; I suspect that was a quirk of the film I used in NCF-41 specifically, but I don't know that for a fact. The results, as scanned with my film scanner, were a bit high in contrast and a bit heavy on the greens, but otherwise fairly normal. They might have looked odder if I'd printed the negatives in a more conventional way, but I have yet to try RA-4 printing.