Quote Originally Posted by mirrorslap
Yes, thanks Donald. I don't want to "down" Mr. Kroeckel, actually; in fact , he is responsible for my newfound appreciation for folding cameras of the '50s. I think he knows his business, and does a great job of restoring cameras.
I guess I was just disappointed to find the camera in such a state - the smoke film is bad enough to make the rangefinder hard to use; after seeing all the great pictures of Jurgen's restorations, I was dismayed that the camera I have was "not 100%." (I mean within the limits of possibility.)
The camera takes great pictures, and I love to use it. I would still recommend his work to anyone wanting to get into folders; I just wouldn't "unconditionally" recommend him, if you know what I mean.
If you have a folder that needs work, DO send it to Jurgen, I do not think that you will be sorry; just be appraised of the possibilities.
The situation is similar to buying something on ebay - if a seller has 100 feedbacks, and 95 of them are positive, and 5 are negative (and dispersed over time), should you buy something from that seller? Yes- it will probably be OK, BUT you may get something else. You pays your money...
Did you write or email Jurgen and make him aware of the condition of the camera's viewfnder? If not, it's worth a shot.