Lately I seem to find myself in the position of wondering why Michael's statements seem to provoke ire. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Guys...

Provoke ire? Why? Does the idea that someone else has a different point of view, or different modus operandi seem somehow not acceptable?
I'm not suggesting that anyone accepts anything on its face value... we all should listen to what was said; and consider that even wholly different points of view can possibly contain SOME truth in them.

I'll toss an idea into the arena: It is true that at times we try too hard. In pencil sketching, it is called "overworking" - and considered as a mortal sin. The antidote is the "one-minute poses", where all the artist has TIME for is to get lines on the paper, without squeezing the living hell out of themselves in an effort to be perfect. The results are invariably surprising - weighted heavily to the "good" side. It is amazing, literally, how well we can do if we let ourselves be directed by our pre-conscousnesses.
Those statements can only be considered with due attention to degree. The quest to learn is a noble one, and must be maintained.., but the "moment of truth" is NOT the time for practice or learning. At that moment, we have to DO ... let our "innards" take over - and NOT think or try, but let the idea of getting the image to the film be the only thought.

There is a parallel exercize in photography. DO NOT use the viewfinder. Hold the camera at arms length and press the shutter release.
I've taken panoramas where I've held the camera overhead to clear parked cars) and simply pointed the camera in the general direction of "across the street", and tripped the shutter on every third or fourth step. Developed and printed, and then mounted in sequence, these can form an interesting and successful image.

This is one of the most difficult assignments for neophytes. Losing control, without the security of that viewfinder, is a frightening thing. But - why? Some strange and bizaare image *might* be the result, but I haven't heard of an explosion, or grave physical harm to anyone yet.

The neophyte usually does "burn film" in his/her enthusiasm. Expensive, but not necessrily a "bad thing". I've yet to meet anyone involved in photograhy who didn't care about their work... and no matter how much film we burn, or how rocky the road is, we will all learn - whether we WANT to or not.

We can hope to smooth the way, and eliminate some of the pain, if we try to help, gently ... n.b. "GENTLY". Suggesting a different way of "seeing" ? Interesting. Why not? Will there be an explosion ... or might it just work?