Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
1 The dyes in all commercial films today are so-called 'kodacolor' dyes dispersed in some medium in gelatin. Agfa uses a method much like Kodak,

2 my properly processed Ektachromes from 20 years ago look pretty bad, but some are just fine.

3 Some ingredients must be controlled to within +/- 0.1 g/l or even +/- 1 mg/l to control color reproduction.

4 I think hand mixing is elegant, but not worth the trouble when the potential for losing good pictures is the alternatiive, even if it is just a hobby. I spent a whole day photographing waterfalls and cliffs at a park with a friend this weekend. I would hate to see any of that hard work lost, hobby or not.

PE
OK lets get a few facts straight:

1 So called "Kodacolor" dyes actually are derived from Agfa innovations in Germany and their pre-war Ansco subsiduary in the US. Material (reserach papers etc) was passed to Kodak when the US Government took over Ansco in 1941, and at the end of hostilities an Allied working party published a highly detailed report into all Agfa's materials, formulae, methods of manufacture etc.

2 None of my properly stored E3/4 or E6 transparencies have deteriorated, and they go back 30+ years. These include lab processed, home processed in either Barfen (UK Co - long gone) or Photocolor Chrome 6, and also solutions I've made up myself.

3 + or - 0.1g is not exactly difficult and as said elsewhere a stock solution which can be diluted is better for smaller quantities.

4 Mixing your own developers, etc is actually very easy and rewarding, and by careful methology and making up reasonable batch sizes it's extrememly easy to get good consistent results. I never dreamt of using a fresh batch of my own chemicals until I'd run a qick test.

So to conclude would you please speak from actual first hand experience, and not from what you've gleaned from reading.

Ian