Books published in the U.S. is in public domain if it was published before 1923.

The emulsion books written by E. J. Wall contain a lot of errors, irrelevant suggestions, misconceptions, etc. and I do not recommend them. I have a copy of 2nd edition but it's pretty bad. It's useful only as a way to search for older literatures for historical study. Same applies to Baker's book.

If you like to study the emulsion making in 1920s, I suggest to read Carroll's paper in J. Chem. Edu. Carroll was very knowledgeable at that time but that was before he worked for Eastman Kodak Company, so he could disclose much of his knowledge in published paper. Carroll's formula in that paper work reasonably well with some of photographic gelatins available today, but good results probably require some tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
The link where I got the book has been gone for some time -- as I recall, it was the U. Mich. library, and they had a project going to digitize a bunch of old, out of print books, that was likely scotched by changes in the copyright laws such that they can't be certain a work published in 1925 is in public domain (and on their level, if they're not certain enough for their legal staff to bet their jobs, it's pulled). It's a very large HTML file with accompanying JPG images (charts and drawings, not photographs for the most part); the title is "PHOTOGRAPHIC EMULSIONS: THEIR PREPARATION AND COATING ON GLASS, CELLULOID AND PAPER, EXPERIMENTALLY AND ON THE LARGE SCALE" by either E. E. Wall or E. S. Wall (the scan is bad, shows as E. 3. Wall -- could also be E. G. Wall, I suppose).

The basement fusion reactors were of the "fusor" design (on which you can find a number of web pages with a Google search) -- electrostatic confinement, deuterium fuel (though their plasma formation and confinement can be demonstrated without the risk of neutron irradiation using plain hydrogen), and in theory the possibility to extract fusion energy as a direct current between the core and the vacuum chamber shell. The biggest one I've heard of, anywhere, was in the range of a 24" vacuum chamber diameter; they're theorized to have a break even at around one meter confinement core diameter (which would be about a 2 m chamber) -- assuming one can make the direct current extraction work, find a way to trap the fusion neutrons (to avoid killing all organisms within a few hundred meters), keep the 3He cleared from the core and inject fresh deuterium, etc. The equipment is on the same order of cost and difficulty to build as an astronomical mirror aluminizing machine, but potentially lethal to operate...