Quote Originally Posted by Brac
Amongst the wanderings in this thread is the again repeated claim that Ilford make Fuji's black & white films. I think it's general knowledge that Ilford certainly provide the emulsion for Fuji's chromogenic film which is very similar to XP2 Super and maybe they actually manufacture it in the UK too. But as to the non-chromogenic films I'm not convinced. The one I'm most familiar with, Neopan 400, which I've used off and on since the late 1980's is nothing like any Ilford film. Also its plastic canister is a Fuji type one and the box states made in Japan. Fuji also made (and maybe still do) an instant pack film in black & white & I've never seen it suggested that Ilford manufacture instant films. I drop this in because it demonstrates that Fuji have the technology & knowledge to manufacture black & white materials themselves.
I have got to concur with this serious doubt. I use Acros, Delta 100 and FP4 in 4x5" sheets and I can assure you, the Acros is very different from either Ilford product. Both in terms of base, grain and if you still have any doubt, try reciprocity failure to see HOW different they are. I doubt Ilford is making Acros only for Fuji and not themselves...